my CNUSD logo
  • Search

How To Refer Your Child


How to Refer your Child or Student to the School Counselor

    1. Communicate your concerns to the teacher.
    2. Explain to the teacher that you would like school counseling services for your child.
    3. Then the teacher will fill it out an electronic referral form.
    4. That electronic referral form gets emailed to me immediately after submitted.
    5. Once I receive the referral form, then I will bring the child into my office and conduct an intake.
    • An intake is a list of questions that I ask the student to better understand them and allows me to understand their needs

    6. I will overview the intake and decide whether counseling services are needed (Or in most serious/important cases, outside counseling will be more helpful)

    • I generally see students once a week for about 6-9 weeks 

    7. If I have decided the student could benefit from school based counseling, then I will send a parent/guardian permission slip form home to get signed and returned to me.

    8. Once the parent/guardian permission slip is signed and returned to me, Ms. May the school counselor, then I can begin 6-9 weeks of school based counseling.

    • Be aware that when your child or student is approved for school based counseling, they will be pulled out of class for about 30-40 minutes once a week.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.